Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Wow

Well I am overjoyed to announce that today is my second day completely free from taking Aropax. After a gruelling few months of tapering down and concequently suffering withdrawals every week, this is the last. The End. Has a nice ring to it doesn't it?!
I didn't write yesterday, largely because I stumbled upon a website http://www.rense.com/general/pro.htm

This basically is an extract from a book called "Prozac: Panacea or Pandora?". It was amazing to read it and if you have any interest in the reasons I have been going through withdrawal and just why I am so bitter towards the Pharmaceutical companies and the Doctors who hand out meds like they are candy, I suggest you definately read it. If you can't be bothered, and largely to re-iterate to myself what I found, I will paste some exerpts:

"So why are we now in the 90's being told that increased serotonin is good for us? Is it because it is good for the pocketbooks of the manufacturers? One manufacturer is running full page newspaper and magazine ads and half hour TV infomercials to bring in over $7 million daily, while on the other hand they are settling Prozac suicide cases for huge amounts of money in exchange for silence from victim's families on the details of those settlements. The silence in the court cases insures that the drug will be allowed to finish out its patent time, thus bringing in the highest possible profits for the company. They know that with $7 million coming in daily, they can afford to settle a large number of lawsuits and still come out "smelling like a rose" financially. Eli Lilly has been sued for Prozac related deaths in numerous state and federal courts with most of these cases being settled or dismissed - many were dismissed due to the unethical manipulation of the Wesbecker verdict"
I love this one. It basically confirms what I been saying, that we are making the fatcats richer by giving into our insecurites and frustrations with modern life, by looking for that quick fix to why we are feeling blue. Don't get me wrong, I know more than anyone that sometimes there is no alternative, but for most people, they do not need these drugs, they are and most definately should be a last resort.

Anyway, this one really made me feel good about myself. Only because it's something I have battled with since being on this drug:

"ARCHIVES OF GENERAL PSYCHIATRY, Vol. 51, Issue 11, pgs 898-911, 1994 demonstrated that an increase in brain levels of either of two neurotransmitters, serotonin or noradrenalin, produces: #1 a craving for alcohol, #2 anger, #3 anxiety. They found this to be especially true for those who have a history of alcoholism. An increase serotonin in turn increases noradrenalin. Numerous reports have been made by reformed alcoholics who are being "driven" to alcohol again after being prescribed a serotonergic drug. And many other patients who had no previous history of alcoholism have continued to report an "overwhelming compulsion" to drink while using these drugs. "
Having come from a long line of alcoholics, I found myself very much craving drink, more so than ever, and I am drinking enough to kill a small horse these days. Who would have thought it? I just assumed it was because I was unhappy in my surroundings (ie, canberra) but I really do believe there is something more than that.

Another intersting webiste www.drugawareness.org explains just how SSRI's effect your brain and the truth is scary people.

Anyway, without too much more raving, I am truly glad I found this website, and that there are others just like it that exist. Moreover, I am glad that I am free from this drug. It's not been easy and I have the eery feeling it's not over yet, but I am there as far as I am concerned.
Most exciting thought is the prospect of my metabolism returning to normal and the kilos I have piled on falling off me. I hope that happens bloody soon, so I can wear clothes that fit me again!

I'll try to update tomorrow, if my brain has not turned to mush in the meantime.

Cheerio.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hammy Goonan said...

You may be interested to know (or already know) that Ecstacy is a serotonergic drug.

Also, Pharmaceutical companies suck on amazing levels and they now have a lot bigger say in Australia's PBS scheme thanks to the US-Aust Free Trade Agreement.

For more on how much these companise suck (which is really hard to understate) check out http://www.sourcewatch.org. GSK's entries can be found at: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=GlaxoSmithKline

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yes, I did know this. The issue however with anti-depressants (SSRI's) is that they don't allow the brain to re-absorb seratonin after it is released, so it just sorta hangs around on your brain forming sludge. And to make matters worse, they also inhibit the metabolism of seratonin. Does this make sense? I think not. Lets saturate your brain with good feelings and not worry about the fact that you can't metabolise them!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHH!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home